What is Stephen Ministry?
One-to-One Ministry by Trained, Caring Lay Ministers who have responded to Christ’s call to “carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.”
What is a Stephen Minister?
A Stephen Minister is…
- a child of God who walks beside a hurting person
- a caring Christian friend who really listens
- a lay person who has received 50 hours of training in how to provide distinctively Christian care.
A Stephen Minister is NOT
- a counselor or therapist
- a problem solver
- a casual visitor
How can you be involved?
Do you have the gift of mercy, encouragement, or intercession?
- Pray for our Stephen Ministers
- Help us stay sensitive to those who need caring support
- Help make others aware of the support system that is available
- Consider God’s direction as to whether you should become a Stephen Minister
What is Stephen Ministry for?
- Loss of spouse
- Retirement changes
- Separation and divorce
- Terminal illness
- Being shut-in
- Most of life’s struggles
What does Stephen Ministry Provide?
- who cares
- who supports
- who listens
- who shares
Stephen Ministry helps to meet the needs of individuals who are:
- Hospitalized/recently discharged
- Facing serious or terminal illness
- Experiencing major adjustments to jobs/careers/residences
- Residents of long-term care facilities
- Facing decisions on future care of aging parents/ spouses
- Experiencing absence of family members due to death, school, military assignment, marriage, divorce
- Persons adjusting to becoming single parents
Care receivers are persons:
- Needing someone they can trust
- Needing someone to be there with regular visits during times of crisis
- Who need someone who listens and cares/shares Christ’s love
- Needing someone who does not “do for” but is “there for”
Here is a video showing how the Stephen Ministry has helped others during time of personal crisis.
Maybe a Stephen Minister can HELP
Consider having a Stephen Minister walk with you or a friend on a journey to wholeness. Use this form to make a referral for yourself or for someone you feel is in need. The Stephen Minister continues to provide distinctively Christian care for the person with strict confidentiality.
For more detailed information on the Stephen Ministry, you can visit the stephen ministry website.
To contact a Stephen Ministry minister please call Jeff Arnold 904.680.9946 or email him. For after-hours pastoral emergencies please call 904.707.4807.